The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire in the 900 block of 16th Street Street last Saturday was accidental.
As a result, the fire department is reminding residents smoking in bed is extremely dangerous, and should be avoided at all times. In a press release, Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services added if residents do smoke inside their homes, they are asked to make sure all smoking materials are extinguished properly. Residents should also ensure they have working smoke detectors in the residence at all times.
Emergency services were called to the house fire Saturday, and 18 personnel and six trucks responded from three stations.
Fire crews were met with heavy smoke on arrival and fire showing out one window. Three residents had already escaped the building prior to arrival, however, one elderly male was subsequently transported to hospital via ambulance with serious injuries. The other two residents were placed with relatives.
Crews were on site for approximately three hours to bring the fire under control. Damages have been estimated at $175,000.